Topic: Geoff Lawrence - Asian Greyhound driver & Tour Leader

Geoff sadly and suddenly passed away on June 9th 2013. It was a terrible shock to everyone that knew him. Today (1st July) was his funeral - a low key, humanist affair - very much in keeping with the man himself. There were a few tears and a lot of laughter, as various friends, colleagues & family swapped their "Geoff stories".

Geoff never married - but he was very close to his sister Jean & her son Steve, who organised everything beautifully. Steve & Jean look at these pages regularly, so if any ex passengers, drivers or friends would like to write a few words, you can be sure they will be seen & appreciated.

Geoff's passing is the end of an era - he was a "one off" and we'll never see his like again. Norm Harris (the founder of Asian Greyhound) had sent a tribute from his home in Canada, and said that Geoff was the best driver he'd ever had.

I would echo that. I had the pleasure of doing my first overland to Kathmandu as a passenger, and Geoff was our driver. He truly inspired me, and with his support and encouragement, I too became a driver - first with Asian Greyhound, then with several other overland companies. He changed my life and we remained friends for 37 years. If I hadn't met Geoff, my life would have been very different & nowhere near as exciting. Thanks for everything Geoff .....

Rob McKay