Topic: London to Kathmandu October to December 1975

I wonder if anyone out there in cyber space was on that bus with me? I have some few photos i can scan and will send in if there's any interest. Our driver was Dave and our courier was Ian. We were shot at in Afghanistan - Ian got a bullet in the arm & the bus's chassis was never the same - and we broke down coming over the pass into Kathmandu, so we all had to get out and push the bus.....an eventful and memorable 3 months!

Liz

Re: London to Kathmandu October to December 1975

Hi, I wasnt on your trip but was on my way out to India around that time as a Driver / Courier for a Budget Bus Trip (I have been writing up my experiences on the Overland Forum). Personally would be very interested to see any photos you could upload onto the Website. After all Penn Overland was one of the top Overland Operators and one didnt expect one of their buses to be shot up !! It would be very interesting to hear the story of what exactly happened and I am sure others would like to hear more as well. Incidentally I have found the best way to upload photos onto a 'post' is to first upload them onto a free Website such as Photobucket, and then copy in the 'Image code' (From Photobucket) onto your 'post'.(you can check before uploading on 'preview').
                                                                                                                                                  John.

My husband and I were on the bus from Kathmandu to London in spring of 1975. Nick was our driver. I have the group photo and a few others. Nick was arrested on the India Pakistan border and left us abandoned in the bus until he talked his way out of it.

4 (edited by rfever 16-Nov-2008 06:10:10)

One more thing, we were the group that was attacked by killer bees in India.

Yes I remember that day in Gwalior.
The bees chased us all onto the bus and one female group member was hospitalised.
What a day.

rfever wrote:

One more thing, we were the group that was attacked by killer bees in India.

Hi... I have thought about trying to find a penn overland forum for years so happy to have found this today! I notice the last posts were from years ago but would be fun to relive some of the memories from such an amazing trip
I was on the Kathmandu to London trip with nick our driver in march 1975. He was amazing how he knew exactly what bribe was needed to get through the borders. I remember we would see kombi vans virtually pulled apart looking for drugs and we would just sail through!
I can't say how many times I have told the story about the killer bees!
Such fun to hear others who remember it!
I remember some of the bees followed us to the hospital I think a few people  had to have injections but I thought nick wouldn't leave anyone at hospital as didnt think conditions were too good
The blonde English girl was the one who was stung many times
I was very lucky as in shorts and halter top and didn't get one.my name is Lola and I was the youngest on the bus at just 20 but will turn 60 this November!! Hard to believe!
I have so many great memories would love to see some other posts.

lizroarty wrote:

I wonder if anyone out there in cyber space was on that bus with me? I have some few photos i can scan and will send in if there's any interest. Our driver was Dave and our courier was Ian. We were shot at in Afghanistan - Ian got a bullet in the arm & the bus's chassis was never the same - and we broke down coming over the pass into Kathmandu, so we all had to get out and push the bus.....an eventful and memorable 3 months!

Liz

hi liz
I was on that bus. Actually ian was the driver and dave the courier. This is and old site and old post not sure
if this will come to your attention,but it would be good to swap photos.
regards
chris birch