Topic: Servet Gokkoyun

Servet Gokkoyun wrote:

Hi congragulations mate..that you have a very nice web page..this is Servet from Magicbus Istanbul.. I continued to keep the line until 1994..but had to stop..I would like to do it again of course via Afghanistan once we get a peaceful situation hopefully..would like to hear from you guys...have a nice day...
Servet Gokkoyun Manager..Magicbus Istanbul

Re: Servet Gokkoyun

Servet Gokkoyun,
Ne haber?  I remember you.  I just got back from Turkey - first visit back in 30 years.  I visited the Pudding Shop and saw some old friends.  Wish you had been there too.  Maybe next time?
Susan "Susie" Cuneo

3 (edited by derek 20-May-2009 17:18:26)

More info on Magic Bus

Derek,

I e-mailed you once before and mentioned that my sister, Carrie Cuneo, was a driver for Magic Bus in 1976 and 1977. Here is a little photo journal of her trips to India and Nepal that you could post under the Magic Bus tour operator. Let me know if you need this in a different format.

Susan Cuneo Starr (file is a Word Document 3mb )

Hi,  I went on a bus in 1974 from london.  In those days we called all the buses to India "magic bus" whatever company it was. I am curious to find out the origins of the "Magic Bus".  Was the name inspired by the song? ( by the who) or maybe the original merry pranksters bus?
Any info on this would be great.  I have a couple of other questions but i will wait as i am not sure if this forum is still very active,
thanks
alan

Hi AlanF,

I can't help much I'm afraid, but I think it was the brain-child of a Turkish entrepreneur, and the Pudding Shop had a lot to do with it.

They used Mercedes, and irtt wasa a bus to India more than a tour along the way. There were a couple of stories of incidents, but I hope someone out there has more information  than I do, because magic bus was a key part of the hippie trail.

Thank you,  I think magic bus had an office in amsterdam, another source says that they didn,t actually have a bus but were just agents ?  Also if anybody can remember a bus that went overland in 1976 1977,? i picked it up in peshwar after i had been released from prison and travelled to the border with india with them (i was denied exit from pakistan as i needed a special tax stamp and had to go back to lahore).  i think one of the drivers was called colin and they had come from clapham in london, i met up with them again in goa.
Another bus also english i picked up in kabul as it was heading back to the Uk, all i can remember is that they were a couple and they had 2 small dogs.

Finally there was german bloke on the beach with a bus in Anjuna around the same time who would cook food for free.

Anybody remember any these people ?
thank you all

alan

Another memory from the turkish border on the way to istanbul and India.  We were largely a young group. long hair, jeans etc.  One passenger stood out as he was in his 30s  wore a flash suit and had a suitcase as apposed to a backpack, he came across as a bit of a gangster.  He used one passport to get stamped into turkey and then when he went to change money had a different passport ?  We met up with him a few days later in istanbul and he said he was on the run from the law after an "incident" at a club in Soho called the "mandrake"  we checked up when we got back to the Uk and sure enough there was a shooting at that place.

alan