Topic: Servet Gokkoyun

Servet Gokkoyun wrote:

Hi congragulations mate..that you have a very nice web page..this is Servet from Magicbus Istanbul.. I continued to keep the line until 1994..but had to stop..I would like to do it again of course via Afghanistan once we get a peaceful situation hopefully..would like to hear from you guys...have a nice day...
Servet Gokkoyun Manager..Magicbus Istanbul

Re: Servet Gokkoyun

Servet Gokkoyun,
Ne haber?  I remember you.  I just got back from Turkey - first visit back in 30 years.  I visited the Pudding Shop and saw some old friends.  Wish you had been there too.  Maybe next time?
Susan "Susie" Cuneo

3 (edited by derek 20-May-2009 17:18:26)

More info on Magic Bus

Derek,

I e-mailed you once before and mentioned that my sister, Carrie Cuneo, was a driver for Magic Bus in 1976 and 1977. Here is a little photo journal of her trips to India and Nepal that you could post under the Magic Bus tour operator. Let me know if you need this in a different format.

Susan Cuneo Starr (file is a Word Document 3mb )

Hi,  I went on a bus in 1974 from london.  In those days we called all the buses to India "magic bus" whatever company it was. I am curious to find out the origins of the "Magic Bus".  Was the name inspired by the song? ( by the who) or maybe the original merry pranksters bus?
Any info on this would be great.  I have a couple of other questions but i will wait as i am not sure if this forum is still very active,
thanks
alan

Hi AlanF,

I can't help much I'm afraid, but I think it was the brain-child of a Turkish entrepreneur, and the Pudding Shop had a lot to do with it.

They used Mercedes, and irtt wasa a bus to India more than a tour along the way. There were a couple of stories of incidents, but I hope someone out there has more information  than I do, because magic bus was a key part of the hippie trail.

Thank you,  I think magic bus had an office in amsterdam, another source says that they didn,t actually have a bus but were just agents ?  Also if anybody can remember a bus that went overland in 1976 1977,? i picked it up in peshwar after i had been released from prison and travelled to the border with india with them (i was denied exit from pakistan as i needed a special tax stamp and had to go back to lahore).  i think one of the drivers was called colin and they had come from clapham in london, i met up with them again in goa.
Another bus also english i picked up in kabul as it was heading back to the Uk, all i can remember is that they were a couple and they had 2 small dogs.

Finally there was german bloke on the beach with a bus in Anjuna around the same time who would cook food for free.

Anybody remember any these people ?
thank you all

alan

Another memory from the turkish border on the way to istanbul and India.  We were largely a young group. long hair, jeans etc.  One passenger stood out as he was in his 30s  wore a flash suit and had a suitcase as apposed to a backpack, he came across as a bit of a gangster.  He used one passport to get stamped into turkey and then when he went to change money had a different passport ?  We met up with him a few days later in istanbul and he said he was on the run from the law after an "incident" at a club in Soho called the "mandrake"  we checked up when we got back to the Uk and sure enough there was a shooting at that place.

alan

I bought a ticket at the Magic Bus office somewhere near Picadilly Circus in November of 1976. $125 to New Delhi. It was like getting away with murder.
I would like very much to get in touch with anyone connected with that bus - owners, drivers, passengers. I've written a story about it. Can remember a few names. The drivers were two Birmingham cabbies - Ainsley (nickname 'Jiggs' or 'Jinx' and Noel Cahill, originally from Dublin. No love lost between those two.
The owner, or owners rep, maybe, was a gal from New Zealand. Can't remember her name at all. Robert 'Floss' Cross was a passenger - a Londoner I think. Axel and Graham, a pair of Aussies. Didier  Hall and Daisy Bruni from Paris. Bert Bialek, and older American guy who had been on the road for a decade. Dolly and Peter, a couple from Holland. Marianne, also from Holland.
The bus kept breaking down and it took us three weeks to get there. Six days in or near Zagreb while mechanical chaps tried to solve the fuel pump problems. What fun.

Looking for connections here. Thanks.