Topic: TENTREK EXPEDITIONS + PENNWORLD

I saw with interest the article on Tentrek by Robert in the last newsletter - it would be good to compare notes with you one day Robert.

On May 17th 1974  I was reading the London Daily Telegraph and saw an advert headed "Wanted - men of the seventies to drive overland expeditions" and thats where my own Overland 'career' started with Tentrek, and following several Tentrek years along came a job at Penn Overland in 1977, and I finished like many others marrying a punter - in 1981. I did the last Penn Overland eastbound which was a compilation of a camping tour; a hotel tour and some Hann Overland pax. En route to Kathmandu to do the westbound, Sexy Sid (driver) & I were in the immigration queue at Bangers airport and a girl in front was sobbing how her overland company had gone bust - thats how we found out Penn had gone down! Spent a few months after that getting paid and geting the vehicle back to Hereford and did some work for the receiver alongside Royston Bennett.

But back to Tentrek Expeditions, which was initially based in Chislehurst Kent. Their office was an old wooden shed, which was once a ticket office adjacent to Chislehurst railway Station, and the yard was the railway sidings arches

Re: TENTREK EXPEDITIONS + PENNWORLD

Peter Housego (Fingers) worked for Sundowners in my time there. I think 1980 (my last year). I think he may have died a few years later, but I hope I am wrong.

Re;Tentwreck,I did that .The story from colin sounds familiar ,even after 30 odd years.The offices had moved from the rail station but some things never change....
There seems to be a large number of readers on Tentrek so I guess we must have moved a few people one way or another in that era.I did 3 months in Athens one year with the offer of another in 1980.I had done my own overland to Asia and Oz and Nz years before so I came back to Aotearoa rather than be a homeless tentwrecker on minimum wages .I think seeing the bosses roller and Etype Jag had a bit to do with that decisiion A few drivers seem to be world wide, some reflection on what we thought of England at the time perhaps.Bon Voyage.

R.I.P. PETER HOBCRAFT - I've just had an email from an old Tentrekker mate in France (Roy Hazledene) who had heard from Trevor Hales who ran the old Transcity/Tentrek garage at Crookenhill in Kent. It seems that Tentrek's owner Peter Hobcraft developed some lumps in his neck and died within a week. The funeral is today Wed 21st Mar - see posting on Fbook at http://www.facebook.com/groups/277545852319865/. And other stories at  http://cvths.wordpress.com/2012/03/19/p … sses-away/  and here - http://announcements.telegraph.co.uk/de … 0/hobcraft

Grasshoppers comments about his wealth are dead right - he was a spoilt rich kid when I knew him 40 years ago and interestingly in his later life went on to own Bolbroke Castle - see the clips at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=io7tkMm8AOU.

I was a Tentrek driver in the early seventies running tours in the blue transits to Morocco. Greece and the islands and the Crete tour. I went on to work for Penn Overland /Penn World on the overland to Nepal RY and SK Tours for four years from 1971to 1975 . I also drove for Hughes Overland briefly and like many drivers married an Australian passenger, and I am please to say we are still together today and living in Sussex. Micheal Woodpower was the MD of Penn in Hereford.  I worked with Martin award, Ian Brooks, Jens Zimmerman, Travers Cox (operations Manager) amongst many others that are living all over the world. It was a fantastic time that gave a unique experience travelling  the world for so many. Regrettably politics do not allow us to retrace our overland route through Turkey, Iran, Afghanistan, Pakistan,India and Nepal.

Hi Paul - were you aware that there is a Penn Overland group on Facebook and some pax comments there seeking a driver named Paul from March 1974 - was that you I wonder? Cheers Colin