Topic: Budget Bus in 1979

Budget Bus  - Tour 1979 London - Delhi/Nepal
Thanx to the greatest invetion ever-the internet. I never ever thought it would happen to get in contact with the other passengers from this trip.

Hallo Rufus, I think I`m one of your fellow passengers on the trip you mention. I entered the bus in Athens und was the only German. The football match in Cappadocia came along with a fuel shortage in this area. We were in Teheran - some passengers left us there at the airport - with the picture of Chomeini in the front window of the bus by the time when the American embassy was hijacked as we later learned. I crossed the border to India with only 25 US$ in my pockets and Australian Di helped me a lot, smile. Some of the passengers got the chance to make some money as "actors" in the movie "seawolves".
For my part, without money I got homesick after only three monthes away from home and flew back from Bombay.

It was a great time and expirience, which I will never forget allthough I have only few pictures here. Sorry for my English but on the bus I once won in Srabble. Rufus, you forgot to mention the amount of alcohol we distroyed - exept in Iran ! And using the toilet without paper just with water and the left hand.

It would be great to hear from my ex-fellow passengers.

Stefan

2 (edited by roffeyRufus 04-Aug-2008 03:41:06)

Re: Budget Bus in 1979

Dear Stefan - here are the photos that you couldn't see in my original post - not sure where that thread has gone - I think you are the blond bloke in the centre looking quite serious?  I am the long haired bloke in a green vest squatting on the extreme left.

http://aqua-star.co.uk/images/football.jpg

Sorry this group picture was very over exposed but hopefully you can make most people out..
http://aqua-star.co.uk/images/group.jpg

This is me a couple of months ago..
http://aqua-star.co.uk/images/boat.jpg

Love to see any photos you may have from the trip - or anybody else's.  By the way Mr Moderator where did the Budget Bus Intro thread go to?

Yes - unfortunately various posts and even a thread in the main Overland Forum have gone missing in the recent attack on the site. Hopefully the missing stuff can be retrieved from the archives and restored - it just takes time.

BTW - who was your driver - was it Emil?

4 (edited by roffeyRufus 07-Aug-2008 16:48:22)

Dear Dave,
                Yes it was Emil.  I first went to India with him as a pasenger in 1977, then did some co-driving with him on the trip back to the UK in Feb/March 1979 [that was the fun one when the Iranian borders were shut after we crossed from Afghanistan] and finally did some informal courier work on this trip in autumn 1979 and then around India.  I have kept in contact - in a patchy way - with Emil and his wife Wende ever since.  Last saw them a few years ago in Sri Lanka.  They tell me they are looking to post some of the old passenger lists on this site which will hopefully jog a few rusty memories.   Thanks for the site it is a real public service for nostalgic old travellers/hippies.

BTW Emil is the tall one standing at the back, about 5 from the left, with glasses, in the over-exposed group photo.

5 (edited by gumboots 23-Feb-2009 21:25:04)

Hi Stefan and Rufus and any other Buget Busers 1979 to India. Amazing that this site is here. My eldest daughter is currently working in Brussels and doing a bit of travelling which has prompted me to look at my photos again. Brought back some memories of another life. I do wonder what people are up to now, I am still in touch with Joanne who was on the bus from England and Donna who only joined the bus in nepal. I remember Emil advising all of the girls not to go anywhere alone in Turkey, Iran and Pakistan and the guys on the bus were brilliant and really looked after us girls going everywhere with us at all times, and even waiting outside the toilets. I remember one little place in the middle of the desert in Pakistan, Alex and I were looking for a toilet everywhere and finally realized we were using the wrong name as they knew it as a latrine? Still it didnt resemble one, it was outside of course it was behind a wall  and there were just two bricks with a big pile of shit in the middle. However there were two more bricks with its own pile of shit, right beside me so you could squatt with a friend if you wished! Fortunately Alex chose to wait. It was a great adventure though. Lost count of how many times the bus broke down and how many spare parts Emil must have had with him and he always managed to fix it.  I have some photos of the mud fortress at Bam which is no longer there. I also remember the turkish baths in Istanbul and Urgup. Rufus you took us to some local sherpa bar one night in Katmandu, down all of these dark alleyways and we had this hugh cup of Chang, very potent stuff. All fantastic. Love to hear from anyone.   Di

Hi Rufus, just a minor correction in the soccer team photo Stefan is the blonde bloke in the front row, looking quite happy, the serious chap was English I think and travelling with Robert ( I think his name was ) in the same green singlet in the back row. Not sure what the serious blonde fellas name is, Dave comes to mind but its just a guess. The chap in the red shirt next to Stefan is Dougie, (the mad scotsman) and the other side of Stefan is Andy 'with'. The chap at the other end of the front row in the same shirt as Andy is Andy 'with out' in reference to their beard or lack of. Behind Stefan is Ted and the back row from left to right is John (New Zealander), Robert??, Steve, Alex and Will. The chap in the front row in the grey top is also a New Zealander but not sure of his name and the chap next to you Rufus in the Red top Im not sure of either but I think Stephen or Steve also springs to mind. It was a mad soccer match but helped to kill some time as we were stuck there in Urgup a day or two more waiting for fuel.              Di.

7 (edited by roffeyRufus 12-Mar-2009 05:08:16)

What a memory gumboots! A lot better than mine.  Perhaps that was because I have more than one trip to try to remember or perhaps its just that I drank too much chang in my time out east.  I was always keen on a bit of fermented millet mush, with hot water poured over, consumed through a bamboo straw! I did use to know Kathmandu quite well back then but I wouldn't today - when I landed there 18 months ago en-route to Bhutan I was shocked at how much development had taken place. With your memory and Emil and Wende's intention to post old passenger lists on the site [I will press them] perhaps we will get everybody in the photos identified. 

I have a secret to confess.  It is true that we couldn't get fuel in Urgup at first but then the passengers were split over whether they wanted to spend an extra day in the town.  Budgetbus always had some flexibility in its timetable to allow us to stay an extra day in a town if the punters wanted it.  With the bus split, and those wanting to move on a bit strident, Emil and I decided to pretend we had to stay one day longer than we really needed too because of the fuel shortages.  We had fuelled up 24 hours before we left - sorry for the deception.

The Turkish baths in Istanbul were large and sexualy segregated.  In Urgup they were more "homey" and uniquely in the Turkey of the 1970s were unisex.  As for the place in Pakistan with the rather basic loos I suspect that was either Nok Kundi or Dalbandin [sp?] in Baluchistan.  That was the first year we had to go that way, down through Esfahan and Zahedan to the Taftan border because Afghanistan was sadly off limits.  It was on the way to this boder than we visted Bam - then an impressive sight which was so sadly badly damaged by the earthquake. 

Nice to be in contact again.  Regards Rufus

Hallo Di, you are absolutely correct and what a great memory you have. It would be great if you can post some pictures of our trip. As far as I remember, you made a lot of pictures. After this long time I once again want to thank you for your help in Delhi when I was run out of money. What are you doing today ?

Regards Stefan

Sorry to misidentify you Stefan!

Rufus, never mind ! I,ve got three picktures here, Di sent to me, but I`m unable to upload them - please help.
It would be great to see as well pictures - now and then - Rufus you already started, I will try to follow!
Di, you asked what happend to us. I work as a partner in a law firm in Cottbus, former East Germany.

www.ra-kleemann.de 

As you can see there, I lost most of my hair

Hi Stefan. Great to hear from you again. I am in the process of scanning all of my slides on to the computer so when i have finished I shall be able to send you a disc if you like. I have checked out your work web site and the photo. It is hard to recognise you with out your hair but you look good Stefan. Are you in touch with any one from the bus. Dougie maybe? Having trouble emailing you. If you could send me an email through this site i shall reply.

Di.

Hi Di, I received a mail on my account from you but it was empty so I sent you an email through this site. I`m sorry but I don`t have any contact to to anyone from the bus. I found this sie only by accident. If you could send me the disc with the pictures of our trip, it would be a dream. You can use my company addressI often have it in my memory and feel sorry that due to political reasons for the young generation it is to dangerous. My English is louzy as it was by that time although I was married for a long time with a Chinese from Hong Kong.
It would be great to hear from you soon.

Stefan

13 (edited by gumboots 06-Apr-2009 10:09:39)

http://i697.photobucket.com/albums/vv340/foggyvalley/IMG_0933-1.jpg

This photo I finally got on here after lots of trying through the site recomended!!!!! It is breakfast one morning somewhere between Amritsar and Agra. Rufus is in the orange shirt, to the right of him is Stefan, then Steve then me (Di). Facing us on the far side of the photo is Andy without.

15 (edited by gumboots 06-Apr-2009 10:31:51)

http://i697.photobucket.com/albums/vv340/foggyvalley/IMG_0810.jpg

This photo should have gone first it is of course the lovely Budget Bus broken down. Well flat battery really, in Greece, being turned around so Emil could do a roll start down the hill.

Di, to see your (our) pictures is a great easter present, thanx a lot

God i was skinny.  In fact a friend looking over my shoulder commented that "you look unhealthy - but he [Stefan] has beautiful hair".  That put me in my place.  As for the chai shop - I think that was between Delhi and Agra.  I very much doubt it was between Amritsa and Delhi as we used to go pretty much non-stop along that road except for lunch at Amballa.  Amballa then was nothing like it is now.  I went there a few months ago on my way to Chandigar and it has changed from a dusty road side town to a modern city.  Still nothing like Chandigar itself though with its wide, cow free streets and its parks and lake. 

I remember the chai stop which I think is in your photo.  An hour or so out of Delhi the passengers asked Emil to look for a chai shop and a few hundred yards later we saw one on a small hill just off the left hand side of the road.  Good aloo chat I recall.  Later that day we stopped at Akbar's tomb which is quite close to Agra on the road from Delhi.  Then I think it was in Agra on that trip - did we stay at the campsite? - that your namesake "English Di" managed to fall into an open sewer.  Oh the joys of indian travel!  I promise I will reply to your personal e-mail very shortly! Sorry!!

Rufus, tell your friend to have a look at my homepage, all the beautiful hair is gone.

www.ra-kleemann.de

Hi Di and Rufus, you must be both wrong. I left the bus in Delhi so the picture must be taken before we arrived to Delhi

http://i697.photobucket.com/albums/vv340/foggyvalley/IMG_0931.jpg

Hi guys glad you enjoyed those two. Thought you might love this one. It is of course the Golden Temple in Amritsar and obviously taken at night. However there were a few of us with cameras Ted had a shutter controller and I had a tripod. (Carried the bloody thing everywhere but when I got this photo back it made it all worth it.) So we took turns and just counted how long we thought we needed. I think Ted may have had a bit of an idea how long to expose it for but in the end it was just luck. I have wondered if the others photos turned out as good as this. It is one of the photos I have had hanging in my Kitchen for many years now, so I see it every day.
I think the chai shop must have been just before we got to Delhi as it was taken just before the group photo above. Although it must have been a different day as you both have different clothes on.
Rufus we did stay at the camp site in Agra. As for Di (not me) I recall that it was Varanasi where she fell into the sewer pit. Poor girl. She was about 2hours in the shower after that. She also ended up with Lice in her hair as well. Nothing like the true cultural experience!
Stefan I am still getting the disc to you, hopefully shortly.

Well it must have been somewhere on Grand Trunk Road from Amritsa to Delhi then - these days a very busy road indeed but much improved.  Di glad you remembered that the other Di had her "accident" in Varanasi, it had also been in my mind that that was where it was, but then started thinking I must be wrong.  To be honest I wasn't even sure the bus had gone to Varanasi on this trip but of course we did that on the way up to Nepal.  Is it my past lifestyle that makes my memory so much worse than yours - which is most impressive!  I do though definately remember the chai stop I refered to in the above post but it can't be the one in the photo if Stefan was still with us.

Di, well done with the picture of the Golden Temple, I remember this place very well. Please go on and show us more !
Rufus, I think it is not your past lifestyle that makes your memory so worse but the amount of beer and raki we destroyed during that trip.

Hi guys. I watched the Movie Slumdog Millionaire recentley and marvelled at the big highways that were non existant when we were there. In fact I'm not too sure how Emil knew where to go on all of those little roads leading out of cities. I do remember seeing them building some big roads though and all of the ladies in their saris walking along with big wok like dishes on their heads full of gravel or rocks. I assume their road building has also advanced by now. I enjoyed the movie though, and the poop scene was funny. Have either of you seen it?
I had a chap to fix my washing machine recently and he was wearing a seikh bangle. So I asked him why he had it on as he was very australian. He use to be a busdriver for  Sundowners and did quite a lot of driving through India in the early 70's. I told him about this site and we spent quite a lot of time chatting about india. I did get my maching fixed too which was great as hand washing is a real bugger. Guess I could have used a rock!

http://i697.photobucket.com/albums/vv340/foggyvalley/greece%20to%20India/DSC_1030.jpg
http://i697.photobucket.com/albums/vv340/foggyvalley/greece%20to%20India/DSC_1032.jpg

Thought I better put the Map and brochure of our trip up again as it disappered with all of the other stuff recently.

25 (edited by gumboots 31-Oct-2010 09:29:51)

http://i697.photobucket.com/albums/vv340/foggyvalley/IMG_01114.jpg

Those lovely sunsets in Goa that seemed to be a viewing ritual.